Monday, June 1, 2009

A Decade Old

How can it be that my sweet daugher Emma is already ten?? She had this momentous birthday back in April and I think that part of me didn't blog about it back then because I still couldn't quite get my head around it. I know that I have two children older than she is but because they came into our family when they were nine and almost eight I guess it doesn't seem the same. But with Emma I can't quite figure out where the time went. Why just a minute ago I was feeding her baby food with a tiny spoon and chasing after her as she was toddling around getting into mischief. Now she is wearing a size seven ladies shoe and teaching her younger brother and sister about Christ as well as reading all the books I read to her to them. She is independant and stubborn at times and I see my faults in her so clearly sometimes. But two of the most amazing things about her are her simple love for Jesus and what an amazing big sister she has turned out to be. I was watching her the other day at the YMCA pool. She spent most of her time in the small activity pool with Daniel and Ana playing and playing with them. Either helping to teach Daniel to not fear the water or following Ana down the slide laughing and giggling with glee. She is still a little girl at heart but I see a maturity in her that sometimes scares me. I know that there are so many things that will happen with her in the next ten years and part of me just wants to slow down time just a little so that I don't miss any of it.

There have been so many blessings that have come from adopting our children from Russia. But one of the most unexpected ones is the person that Emma has become because of her brothers and her sister. She is much more adventurous than I believe she would have been with no brothers and she is far more giving and compassionate. God has blessed us so greatly with this loving and faithful daughter and I am one thankful mom to have her in my life.

2 comments:

the dwellers said...

What fun to celebrate Miss Emma. Oh the stories we can tell...
twirly skirts at dance class,
black-white photos at 4 (yikes, 6 yrs ago!),
American Girls,
dress-up in the closet,
top bunk playdates,
Huntington Beach,
swimming at the Pointe,
summer movies,
meeting for lunch,
Disneyland,
learning to knit,
driving the ranger,
penpal letters and
long distance phone calls.

We are so thankful to be your friends. You are growing up to be a lovely young lady.
Love,
Mr.Brent, Melissa, Abigail, Samuel and Ethan :)

AbIgAiL said...

Dear Emma,
Ten already !!!!
I am so exitied for you sweet friend ! I miss you more than I can say :[ Thank you for
lots and lots of giggles,for praying for me, and American Girl play dates. I hope your tonsils are feeling better.

Love,
AbIgAiL