Thursday, March 6, 2008

The Cost of My Salvation

Sometimes I forget in all my daily routine of what the true cost of my salvation really was for Christ. The devotional magazine that I use "Closer Walk" is taking me through the book of Romans this month. I am enjoying it particularly because each days reading is shorter than is typical and I'm able to really focus on just a few verses and what Christ is saying to me through them. The main verse for the lesson today was Romans 3:25.
Christ Jesus whom God set forth as a propitiation by His blood, through faith, to demonstrate His righteousness, because in His forbearance God had passed over the sins that were previously committed
The word propitiation puzzles me, but my study bible describes it this way: Crucial to the significance of Christ's sacrifice, this word carries the idea of appeasemement or satisfacation in this case Christ's violent death satisfied the offended holiness and wrath of God against those for whom Christ died. For some reason this hit me hard this morning. I know that I take Christ's sacrifice for granted and it grieves my heart. I was moved by the quote in my devotion by Martin Luther. He says:
"Because Christ has become a King and Priest for you and has bestowed this great blessing on you, you dare not imagine that it cost little or comes to you because of your merit. Sin and death were overcome for you in Him and through Him. Grace and life were given you , but meant bitter work for Him. It cost Him much. He earned it at the greatest expense with His own blood, body, and life. For to put down God's wrath, judgement, hell, death, and everything evil, and to gain everything good, could not be done without satisfying divine justice. This is why Paul is in the habit of touching also on Christ's suffering and blood whenever he preaches God's grace in Christ, in order to note that all our blessings are given to us through Christ, but not without His unspeakable merit and cost."
How many times have I been prideful about something that I have done or said and not given Christ the credit. More times than I would care to admit. We talk as believers about the free gift of salvation and how all we need to do is accept it and we are saved. Do we tend to forget the price that it cost our Lord in the process? I know that I'm guilty of this so often and I focus more on what can God do for me now instead of focusing on what He has already done at the Cross.
Help me O Lord to remember your sacrifice and not to take for granted the precious gift that you gave ME at the cross. I pray that you would help me to teach this to my children that they might not take for granted your sacrifice and make it a point to be purposeful in their thanksgiving for your sacrifice. Amen.
The last thing that my devotion told me was to meditate on Psalm 22. I would encourage you to do the same and leave me a comment and let me know what the Lord speaks to you through this beautiful passage of Scripture.

3 comments:

The Cooke Family said...

That was a great word tiffany! I am also in the habit of forgetting the cost that Jesus had to pay in order to give me Salvation. Right now in my life, more than ever, I am realizing just a small glimpse of that as I learn each day of the cost to follow Him. I was reminded just this week by the Lord of the verse that says, "In order to have fellowship with Christ, we must first share in His sufferings". That spoke to me as I so desire true fellowship with Him. As I suffer through the many trials, I am drawn so much more to Him and realize my sinful state so much more, which ultimately makes me appreciate what He has done for me. When I am hurt or rejected, it is so hard to overlook it. Then when I think of Jesus, that He not just overlook the offense but turned right around and died for those same sinners that did more than just reject Him. I am so humbled every time I myself am rejected (it happens a lot these days) : )

I will read Psalm 22 and get back to you on that. : )

Love ya!

Anonymous said...

Tiffany,

I have misplaced your phone number. Could you please give me a call?

Thanks,

Nancy Mee

Anonymous said...

So, I keep checking back with anticipation of a new post to which I could respond...could today be the day? :)M